Break Point by Garry Michael. Book Review

                                                         

Very briefly, "Break Point is a touching story about a closeted, tennis champion who gave up his best friend and lover in one...the only person who truly knew him. In favour of his other first love, tennis. The heartbroken best friend and lover could never comprehend why his heart was broken because he knows for a fact that coming out wouldn't end with familial disputes for either of them. So why? Especially when he's so clearly loved."

The author's description left me wanting more but here's the deal. I like a good second chance trope in mmromance as much as I like cheese on my bread - that means not often. I will not name anyone but I can count on one hand the number of authors that know how to give this trope adequate justice. In my opinion most authors fumble with either too much angst, not enough logic or unequal amounts of both important variants to the trope. Most of the time it's lifted off the ground too fast, too slow, with too much heat or little to none at all.

Ugh.

Clearly, Garry Michael's writing is a refreshing exception.

Most of the review section to Break Point claims they cried when they read this book. Although I can see why, I, myself didn't cry. Sure there was one point where I almost cried, it was the point towards or rather right in the climax of the story. Where other truths were driving down the 'your idols are people too' lane. My heart curved over the MC's agony, blood ran molten before it all burst with emotion because oh my gosh. 

If you already read the book, you know what I mean.

Whoa.


I don't know why that shocked me though, this sweet nostalgic little story was a rollercoaster of emotions from the very first page. Where the MC's narration felt sad, very detached and very big fish in a small tank vibe even though he was getting everything he'd worked his entire life for. It was also on the first page we were thrust into the gripping, logically sound and heart-breaking reality of the beautiful dynamic's complexity. 

I loved them together, I love how this book was narrated, I acknowledge that while it is possible that I may forget about the characters, the story and everything about it. I know that it will all come back to me once I revisit my libraries a few years from now. And I will adore this sweet little thing all over again. 

I recommend and I rate this book at 2.5-3 stars? 


HEAT RATING: 53%

 I know all the proceeds to this book were given to the Trevor Project so bless your heart to Garry Michael

BOOK LINK HEREhttps://www.goodreads.com/series/331048-break-point




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frat Wars: King of Thieves. Book Review